of New Jersey
Standard ML of New Jersey (abbreviated SML/NJ) is a compiler for the Standard ML '97 programming language with associated libraries, tools, and documentation. SML/NJ is free, open source software.
DownloadsAlthough we have not "blessed" it as a full release, we strongly recommend using one of our recent working versions. Currently, the most recent such version is 110.71.
Subversion accessOur master source repository is kept on a GForge server under Subversion control. We provide anonymous read-only access to the repository, so anyone can download a snapshot of the most recent sources at any time. Instructions are here.
- [9/18/09] Working version 110.71 available.
- [8/18/09] A new bug form and issue tracker are available for the SML/NJ distribution.
- [6/17/09] Working version 110.70 available.
- [1/13/09] Working version 110.69 available.
- [9/17/08] Working version 110.68 available.
- [11/15/07] Working version 110.67 available. This release includes a revamped installer for Windows, support for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), a few enhancements and many bug fixes. (Version 110.66 did not get announced.)
- [6/7/07] Working version 110.65 available. This fixes a number of bugs in ml-ulex which also affected ckit and nlffi.
- [5/31/07] Working version 110.64 available. (Version 110.63 did not get announced.)
- Older news
Downloading SML/NJ Software for Unix or Windows
- Information on downloading and installing the SML/NJsystem and related software.
- A self-installing .EXE for Windows 9X/NT/2000/XP is available ((smlnj.exe, 5.4MB).
Documentation and Literature
- SML/NJ User's Guide
- SML'97 Basis Library
- SML/NJ FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- SML'97 Conversion Guide
- Top Level Environment Comparison
- Special features of SML/NJ
- Compilation Manager (CM)
- Concurrent ML
- SML/NJ-C foreign function interface
- comp.lang.ml FAQ
- Compiler notes
- Bugs can be reported online using our PHP bug form.
- You can also submit bug reports by email to using the bug report form.
- A legacy record of known bugs and the bug history for SML/NJ are available via the bugs web page.
- Recent submissions should appear in the GForge tracker .
- Pointers to programming resources (libraries, tools, example code), projects using SML/NJ, other SML implementations, related compiler research work, and miscellaneous SML links. The programming resources links will soon move to a separate page of their own.
- Picture of current cast of people involved in the project.
Send your comments to .
Copyright © 2004-2005, the SML/NJ Fellowship.
This material is based upon work supported in part by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. CNS-0454136.
Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation (NSF).